Friday, February 4, 2011

What's been going on...






Gosh, where the heck do I start? It's just been non-stop lately. Once clinicals start I don't know how I'll have time to keep up with this blog...But I shall try!

We had our first exam on Tuesday. I got a 90/92 which equals to 98%! I was so proud of myself and relieved because it's supposed to be the easiest test we'll take during the program. Also, it was more knowledge based as opposed to having more critical thinking questions. Four people failed unfortunately. The second test in two weeks is supposed to be around the same lines so I'm not freaking out as much as I was before.

We also finished up testing on all our required and draw skills. Some students waited till today to get tested on everything. Not this girl! I didn't want to fret about it longer than I had to and it was rewarding and relieving to get it over with. I wanted to spread it all out and try to get it done early which is exactly what some of my close classmates and I did.

We tested out on our required skills last week which included vitals (assessing pain, temp, radial & apical pulse, resp and BP), giving a partial bed bath, making an occupied bed and transferring a patient to a wheelchair. Then we tested out on our draw skill yesterday so that we could come in later today. So instead of coming in at 0630, we were able to sleep in a little and show up @ 0930. Loved it! "Draw" skill meaning we had to draw a certain skill out of a deck of cards and do it so you had to know all of them because it was all random! Our draw skills included applying restraints, Active ROM exercises (upper or lower body), indwelling catheter care (emptying and cleaning pt), cleaning dentures, mouthcare on an unconscious adult and moving patient up in bed/repositioning patient.

I pulled cleaning dentures and I was so relieved b/c it was so easy. They were all relatively easy but there were so many critical elements on some of the other ones, I was afraid if I pulled them, I would've forgotten some stupid little step and fail =( But I'm glad I didn't. It will be much different when I'm actually talking and doing these skills on a real patient. I just had to remember to not leave the bedside with the siderails down when I have the bed up at my working height to gather supplies.

I am beyond ecstatic, falling out of my chair excited to go to clinicals. To be honest, not so much the continuing care ctr (rehab) but to the hospital. We'll be on the surgical floor, neuro floor and she said she'll put the "superstars" of the group on the Tele floor! I would like to go there because my mom is a tele nurse and I just think it would be awesome to see what it's like to be mom for rotation.

All I want to do is interact with patients and get to know nursing staff, like now!!!

No comments: